MiscellaniousMo

Monday, October 23, 2006

An Affair To Remember

Until very recently, I didnt think there was much north of the Mason Dixon worth a heap of beans. Aside from a few places that boast some lovely scenery and a few scattered friends who stubbornly refuse to relocate to warmer climates, it held no appeal.As of this past Thursday, I now whole-heartedly recant those sentiments. All it took was a 2 hour flight and one cab ride and I fell in love with my first Yankee....New York City.

Yes, I mean love, and yes at first site.The skyline alone pushes heavens gates and left me breathless with wonder.I would never have guessed I was the type of gal who could fall for concrete and steele but i was a goner before i even returned my tray table to its upright position for landing.

Of course, I did all the cliche things one might expect for a virgin trip to the Big Apple....Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Grand Central Station, Rockafeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, Madison Square Garden, Chrysler Building, New York Public Library, Sax 5th Avenue, Central Park....and the list goes on. And i did it all in only 2 1/2 days time. The city never sleeps and I hardly did, covering most of Manhattan on foot or via Metro.

A trip to Tiffany's only deepened my eternal devotion, as i gazed upon display after display of heart-stopping beauty. It didnt matter that some pieces cost more than i will make in a lifetime, the sales staff was lovely and even offered to let me try things on.
But, i officially lost my heart to the place, when i walked into the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was utterly inspiring. It was my first-ever encounter with timeless artists like VanGoh, Monet, Renoir, and Picasso. I was so moved by some pieces, my heart felt liquid with emotion and I truely gained an understanding of why they are so renowned for their work.

I topped it all off with a Broadway show that left me laughing till my sides ached. Should you ever have the opportunity, I highly recommend you see "Spamelot"....if you have any sense of humor at all, you wont be dissappointed. David Hyde Pierce and Hank Azaria starred in the show and afterwards they kindly signed autographs and posed for photos.

Breakfast in Greenwich Villiage, lunch on the Upper East Side, Dinner In Chinatown with a shoppin trip to SoHo thrown in for good measure....every last second was filled with excitement and memories to last a lifetime.

We've only just begun, NYC and me.....I return in April, and feel certain my love will grow daily until then....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home